Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Autistic Children Score High on Raven's Intelligence Test

Intelligence tests have often been used to differentiate "high functioning" from "low functioning" individuals with autism. But a recent study published in the journal Psychological Science suggests that "low functioning" children with autism may in fact score much higher if an alternative intelligence test--the Raven's Progressive Matrices-- is used instead of the more conventional Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC). This test (see image above for sample item) assesses abstract reasoning. The scores on the Raven's were on average 30% higher, and in some cases more than 70% higher than their scores on the WISC. The Raven's Progressive Matrices is considered the most complex single test of intelligence in the scientific literature. These new findings suggest that many autistic children who have thus far been labeled "mentally retarded," may now be considered of average or above average intelligence, and thus be seen in terms of their strengths as well as their difficulties.

1 comment:

  1. I have not looked at many of my intelligence test types, but I have consistently scored about 120 on most of them. I guess in my earlier life, I could have scored in the MR range, as I have been told to have appeared as "low-functioning." I do not question my IQ, it is slightly above average, but not extraordinarily high. But does it need to be? Nope, especially not in a neurodiverse world.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete